Friday, May 19, 2017

Just because 9...

...Today would have been Joey Ramone's 66th birthday.  And also because it is 40 years to the day that Thud actually met The Ramones, in Liverpool, on May 19th 1977.  That particular day was Joey Ramone's 26th birthday.  Thud still owns The Ramones t-shirt he bought that same day from Joey's brother, Mickey Leigh.
It's not a secret that The Ramones are perhaps my favourite band ever, thanks to Thud, and it is no surprise to me that I enjoy their music now just as much as I did when I was a teenager. What has been a surprise to me is that, 40 years later, we now have a new generation of Ramones fans in the family.  Thud's nine, almost ten, year old daughter possibly knows more about The Ramones than me and her dad combined.  It's amazing to witness and it's a constant source of amusement to me.
Thud can be seen in the photograph on the right, or at least his leather jacketed-back can be seen, talking to Joey.  Great memories.  Happy birthday Joey.  And RIP.
Photographs courtesy of Ian Dickson.

5 comments:

Thud said...

Bitter sweet.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: I know what you mean.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Because of you guys, I've come to appreciate The Ramones as well. Thank you for broadening my already eclectic listening enjoyment; the other day while heading to work one of their energetic performances was playing on the radio (I love radio), and aided my coffee in completing my arousal from somnambulance.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yay! Another convert. How could a rousing rendition of 'Blitzkrieg Bop' NOT wake one up?

Thud said...

Dennis...you are one of the good guys now!