Sunday, March 26, 2017

Happy Mother's Day, mum.

It is Mothering Sunday in England, or Mother's Day as it is more commonly known.  And here is my mum, all smiley and young.  In her day, my mother used to be fond of a glass of Merlot, or a nice Rioja, but she doesn't drink much anymore. However, her real poison was Cognac, preferably Martell, although she did have a soft spot for Louis XIII (Rémy Martin), thanks to Thud.
In England, Mothering Sunday falls on the fourth Sunday in Lent and, as it has its origins in Christianity, is not really related to the American Mother's Day, which is celebrated in May (other than honouring mothers, that is). Of course, I am partial to the English Mother's Day because I am English. But also because it signals that the end of my Lenten fast is now only three weeks away.  All things chocolate be warned.  But, I digress.
Happy Mothering Sunday to all (English) mothers.

6 comments:

Thud said...

Mum had a good day.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Good. Flowers, cards and chocolates - who wouldn't have a good day :)

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: Thanks for sharing! Your mum is very beautiful. I miss mine sorely. Glad I have faith to see her again.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Thanks, but I didn't mean to make you sad. Sorry that your mother has already passed.

phlegmfatale said...

Glad your Mom had a good Mothering day. She certainly is a lovely lady.

Cognac is a good thing for which to have a soft spot. There are actually quite a few perfumes around these days that list a cognac or boozey accord, and I approve! One of my favorites is Frapin 1270, by a perfumer from the old Cognac Frapin family.

Unfortunately, though, bees like it, too, so I'm very careful not to wear it on days I think I may be outdoors much.
https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Frapin/1270-5325.html

Vinogirl said...

Phlegmmy: Thanks. Thud made sure she had a good day.

That is an interesting factoid about Cognac - I shall look into it further, thank you!