Thursday, May 19, 2016

To bloom betimes.

I think 2016 is going to be an unusual vintage.  I say this because today, whilst I was out in the vineyard stuffing shoots, I noticed that Vinoland's Cabernet sauvignon (CS) is further along in bloom than the CS at TWWIAGE.
It is fun to live (and farm) in a relatively cool AVA e.g., Coombsville and work (and observe) in another, noticeably warmer AVA e.g., Oakville. And why do I consider this year's earlier bloom, in spite of a cooler-than-normal spring, unusual?  Because from my personal experience, CS, Clone 4, in Coombsville is normally a bit of a slowcoach in the flowering department.  This year my little mutants apparently want to get an early start.  Go little girls and boys!

4 comments:

Thud said...

I shall inspect their progress soon...ish!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: They'll look like Cousin Itt by the time you get here.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: I thought that this short video concerning the 2016 vintage might interest you:
Ridge-vintage-update

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Ah, the fatal flaw of cordon training/spur pruning - low quality basal buds - succinctly explained. Thanks for sharing.