Thursday, August 06, 2015

Itsy bitsy.

Or not so itsy bitsy.  This yellow garden spider (Argiope aurantia) is freakin' huge, and I don't like her.  But Vinomaker loves her, in fact he has given her a name - Sylvia.  Lovely!
Sylvia got in my way this morning as I was finishing securing the bird netting on the Pinot grigio vines.  Luckily, later in the day, she moved from right below the fruiting wire to just above the drip line enabling me to complete this particular vineyard op.  Still, I wasn't happy about being in such close proximity to this leggy femme fatale (there was something grotesquely parceled up to her right), but I tolerated her presence as she is an important part of the predator/prey food web that ensures that Vinoland is, for the most part, a naturally pest free zone.  But still, don't like it.

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: I'm with you! When I was three years old, I do remember maybe two or three things when I was three (this was one of them), I was walking through the chin-high grass and looking down I saw what seemed (proportionality) to be a monster spider on my chest; I screamed until the whole neighbor came to save me. I've hated spiders to point of ridicule ever since.
However I leave outdoor spiders to themselves, mostly!
Oh, I have lots of spider stories to tell.

Thomas said...

This year, we have seen an explosion in spider activity around my place. At the same time, we have two frogs that have taken to hanging out in our foyer dancing the "tarantella" (cannot figure out how the frogs are getting in). Someone must have told the frogs about the spider population.

Thud said...

Kill it

Vinogirl said...

NHW: And there was that time that Thud and I were hiking through the olive groves of Ithaca...too horrible to recount!

Tomasso: I love frogs.

Thud: Can't, VM would divorce me!