Friday, September 19, 2014

International Grenache Day 2014.

I actually remembered that today is International Grenache Day (IGD): Grenaches of the world unite!  Or is it International Garnacha Day?  Whichever it is, I decided to commemorate IGD 2014 with a Spanish Garnacha.  But I had to buy one first. 
To find something suitably Iberian, I took a quick trip over to Sonoma to visit Sonoma's Best which is a quaint shop with a surprisingly good Grenache selection, (a tip from Marcia Macomber, thanks).
The Borsao Monte Oton, 2012 (DO Campo de Borja) was a rather full-bodied version of Garnacha.  Hailing from Aragon, the very place where this grape variety is believed to have originated, this 100% Garnacha had fantastic colour extraction, a spicy-leathery-lavender thing going on, an enticingly ripe blackberry/blackcurrant compote vibe and a palate pleasing acidity.  The alcohol seemed a tad high at 14.5%, but this shouldn't have been a surprise considering where these grapes were grown.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm happy.  At $9.99, this was a more than satisfying wine that paired well with tonight's homemade burgers.
I hope everybody's IGD was a happy one!

2 comments:

Craig Justice said...

Oh, Vinogirl, you must try OUR Grenache... the 2012 Estate Grenache blend is 60% Grenache, 40% Tempranillo and a sprinkling of Petit Sirah - don't do the math. It's everything I ever wanted from the wine we're growing here ...We call it our "Merleatage." This wine is worthy to share with our Napa, Sonoma and Paso Robles winemaking friends. It is a fine example of what can be produced here in San Diego, the future Grenache capital of the world! Cheers!

Vinogirl said...

Craig: Welcome back to Vinsanity.
Wow! I think I need to try some 'Merleatage' now!