Sunday, July 20, 2014

Syrah Veraison: 2014.

And here it is: veraison in the Syrah vines.  There is a lot going on in this photograph besides veraison; a little bit of sulphur residue on the grapes, some very prominent stylar scars, there are some shot berries, a smattering of thrips damage and a couple of undetached calyptra.
I worked all day in the vineyard today, mainly in the Cabernet sauvignon vines.  I did some hedging, some leaf-pulling, some lateral-removal (especially those with second crop) and some training (and tying up) of the juvenile grapevines planted this season. 
As is usual, I was distracted by a number of things; baby towhees, grasshoppers, Vinodog 2, lizards...and the best crop of blackberries I have seen in years.  I love eating berries right off the plant.  It's not exactly like foraging for food when they simply fall into your palm because they are so ripe.  I must have eaten at least 10 ounces of delicious sun-warmed, finger-staining, purple-black berries - I just couldn't stop myself.  Yum!

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: The trained eye sees all.
Sun-warmed blackberries are some of the best memories I have of my sons growing up and hiking/mountain-biking! I hope your visitors got some of those.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yes, my brother and his little 'uns already sampled them last week whilst I was at work. Years past, he has made a great sorbet from them...which I'm hoping is what he'll do when he comes back from his road trip.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: Thud has many talents:)