Friday, May 02, 2014

Sign language.

In December of 2011 Coombsville became the Napa Valley's sixteenth American Viticultural Area (AVA).  Just recently a large oval sign, a familiar sight in all fifteen other AVAs, was erected against a fence on the corner of the Rocca Family's Collinetta Vineyard on Coombsville Road.  So it's all official now.
Situated a little above the level of the road, I must have driven past the sign at least half a dozen times, but hadn't noticed it (whizzing past with groceries desperately in need of refrigeration) - until I was told to look for it by a friend.  In my defense I am usually looking at the vineyard on the south side of the road, but now that I know where the sign is my attention is drawn to it each time I pass by.  I like it.

5 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V-girl: I like it too.
As for the groceries: I always keep a cooler (warm weather) with plastic bottles of ice in case I, on a whim, buy a bottle of wine :-)

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Perhaps I'll do a series on all the other AVA signs around the valley.
The cooler idea is a great idea and I've used it in the past (with blue ice), but first I have to remember to take it with me. This past Thursday it was 92°F...I blasted the AC and drove really fast...same effect :)

About Last Weekend said...

There is something about an oval. Coomsville, have not heard of it. Comb, loom? We have a Stop sign that has another word painted on it - "Hammertime". I love it and i smile every time.

Thud said...

VG...needs a bullet hole or two. ALW...very good.

Vinogirl said...

ALW: Named for Nathan Coombs, one of the founders of the city of Napa.

Thud: Only the 'watch out for leaping deer' signs seem to have bullet in them.