Friday, June 21, 2013

A rosy day.

Happy summer solstice!
I love this time of year.  I love the longer daylight hours.  I love photosynthesis, (so do the vines).  I just love light.  Although I miss the longer summer days of my youth in Liverpool, (so much further north than Napa) I'll take any daylight I can get, (so will the vines).  The longer days also allow me to walk the Vinodogs later, in the cool of the evening, which suits the aging V1 much better.
Blooming, on my daily Vinodog-walks, amongst the roadside-thicket that is composed mainly of poison oak and Himalaya blackberry, is the appropriately named Rosa canina, or Dog rose.  A wild rose - which in it's cute pinkness looks pretty enough to be tamed and cultivated in a garden - the dog rose asserts itself and thrives along roadsides, irrigation ditches and creeks.  A cheery little flower, the dog rose could only look happier if it sported a wagging tail. 
June 21st, a happy summer day, a rosy kind of day.

2 comments:

Thud said...

The sun came out today for Princess OTW.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: As it should for a princess on her birthday :)