Friday, April 26, 2013

Hyacinth Bucket.

Just when I thought I had exhausted all the blueish-coloured wildflowers in Vinoland I stumbled across a new one, literally.  Really more purple than blue, the bouquet-like flower head of this Wild Hyacinth (Brodiaea pulchella) seems to float in midair due to the fact it is held aloft on a skinny, foot high stalk.  Heading uphill, with my head down, I nearly missed it.  I'm glad I didn't, it's cute.
I am a little confused as to the true binomial name of this plant as I have also seen it referred to online as Dichelostemma capitatum and apparently the species has been moved from family Liliaceae to family Themidaceae.  This little hyacinth is also known by another common name, Blue dicks, but I'm not going to be using that particular epithet anytime soon.  Whatever this wild flower is called, it is still pretty and very welcome in Vinoland.

7 comments:

Thud said...

That's pronounced bouquet!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Ha! You got it!

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Taxonomy: you've got to love order.
Vinogirl.
Though I don't love it when, for instance, when the PTB rename "Myrtle Warbler" into banality with "Yellow rumped"! Sounds like something which subsists on lemons;-)

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yellow-bummed sounds better to me :)

Thomas said...

Thud:

I got it too, but I am too late...besides, the show isn't funny.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: The show isn't funny! Are you mad?

Thud said...

Its a very very English show...some things don't travel.