Thursday, March 08, 2012

A social butterfly.

The Bradford Pear trees (Pyrus calleryiana) at TWWIAGE are in full bloom. Whilst eating my lunch yesterday, I was treated to a visit from a Mourning Cloak butterfly (Nymphalis antiopa). This rather large brush-footed butterfly, known as the 'Camberwell Beauty' in England, didn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere other than the safe haven of this blossoming tree.  I watched as the friendly lepidoptera flitted from cluster to cluster, probably enjoying a lunch of nectar while I munched on an apple.  Of course, it was extremely windy and he most likely just wanted to stay put and avoid having his wings blown off!
The high winds of the past two days have now abated, and although I heard fans running in a neighbouring vineyard when I let the Vinodogs out this morning, the frost that had been forecast for this sunny, March morn did not materialise.  Roll on budbreak...but not before I have finished pruning.

3 comments:

Thud said...

What a great name for a flutterby

Thomas said...

I started pruning my raspberry patch. All of a sudden, I am in a hurry to beat their bud break!

Good grief, I can't make out the captcha on this one at all--will the Google people please back off. They are going to kill blogging via this nonsense.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Always liked the name 'Yellow Sulphur' for a butterfly.

Thomas: See, it's not that cold in upstate NY!