Friday, March 23, 2012

Ristorante Allegria.

For my birthday dinner, Vinomaker decided to take me to Ristorante Allegria in downtown Napa.  We have been there many times before and have always enjoyed it: we are done with experimenting with new restaurants for the time being.  Allegria is a comfortable, unpretentious establishment.
Located in an old bank building, Allegria features California cuisine with an Italian influence: actually it is quite far removed from authentic Italian food, but the food is always of the highest quality. Vinomaker and I began the evening with a glass each of Villa Sandi Prosecco, which was a very pleasant tipple, whilst we waited to order.  For my main course I ordered the mahi mahi with garlic mashed potatoes in some sort of mango sauce.  I was too busy (thinking about chatting), to really listen to the waiter's description of this dish which was one of the evening's specials, but he had uttered those magic words garlic mashed potatoes, so I was completely sold.  My fish and potato combo was delightful fare and Vinomaker thoroughly enjoyed his Pappardelle Allo Zafferano.
Our wine selection was a bit of a disappointment, so I will abstain from besmirching the winemaking abilities of a certain Napa winery.  All in all it was a very pleasant evening.  Thanks Vinomaker. 

4 comments:

Affer said...

Mahi mahi is an ugly old fish but gosh, it does taste good. My birthday is soon and I will probably be celebrating at McDonalds. I don't think McMash will be available...!

Thud said...

Mahi mahi nicey nicey?

About Last Weekend said...

Happy Birthday - that meal looks delish. Yes I have to agree some of the Napa winemakers (and how gracious of you not to name names) how could they put so much effort into something that's not good?

Vinogirl said...

Affer: But, you're in luck...I think McDonalds still have the Filet-O-Fish.

Thud: It was, it was.

ALW: Again, it was!
As for the wine, I'm sure somebody would buy it and like it, and the winemaker probably loves his own creation (there are no ugly babies, right?) - it just wasn't for me.