Thursday, January 12, 2012

The other cider the Atlantic.

I have mentioned before that Calvados is one of Vinomaker's all time favourite tipples (Thud's also), so I am constantly on the lookout for different ones that he might enjoy.  I bought this bottle on my trip home to Liverpool last spring and Vinomaker just finished it (I don't know when he opened it).  Seeing as my plane tickets are now booked for my next visit home I thought I'd start making a list of things that I want to buy when I'm on my hols.
Purchased from Tesco, this VSOP apple brandy comes from the appellation Pays d'Auge which is considered the finest amongst Calvados producing areas.  Double distilled from fine Normandy cider, this particular offering had a rich, appley-bouquet and some well integrated vanilla on the palate, probably from the oak casks it was aged in.  Or so Vinomaker tells me, I never touch the stuff.  I think I may have bought myself a packet of Winegums in Tesco that day.  Yum!

5 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

I've had a few nights on Calvados that I can't remember. As with all these drinks, one wee glass is enough, but will I learn?

Wartime Housewife said...

Ah, I've just remembered a really good recipe that needs a slosh of Calvados. Thank you!

Thud said...

Censorship!!!!

phlegmfatale said...

Is this available in the states at all, or do I need to book my trip to visit friends in Cornwall to find it?

Vinogirl said...

ALW: And it's generally too expensive to drink a lot of.

WH: Wow! Wish I could get a peep in your larder. A recipe with Calvados? For someone who usually touts storecupboard ingredients that's quite exotic.

Thud: Yes. Hush.

Phlegmmy: No trip to Cornwall necessary, but it would be lovely anyway. A good liquor store should have it stocked with the Cognac and Armagnac.