Friday, December 23, 2011

A crumb of cheese.

I love cheese, and when confronted with this veritable wall of blue cheese at the Oxbow Public Market today, whilst cheese-shopping with Vinomaker, I nearly passed out with excitement.
The Oxbow Cheese Merchant's selection of coagulated milk products may not be the most extensive I have seen, but it is nonetheless impressive - and the staff are very attentive and knowledgeable.  As I stood salivating over the Colston Bassett Stilton, the resident cheese-monger (why wasn't cheese-mongering a career choice offered when I was in school?) interrupted my reverie to point out Stichelton Dairy's blue cheese made from unpasteurised  milk.   Hadn't had it before, had to have it now!   
Other cheeses selected included one called Challerhocker chosen by Vinomaker (which means, perhaps appropriately for a winemaker, 'sitting in the cellar' - which he does on occasion), and I couldn't leave The Oxbow without a cheese called St. Foin which promises to be irresistible when paired with Champagne.  We'll see.
Jacob Marley better not get between me and any crumb of cheese, otherwise he may end up looking like "an undigested bit of beef."

4 comments:

Thud said...

I'm more of a meat by products kind of guy.

Vinogirl said...

You can have Jacob Marley when I have finished with him then!

phlegmfatale said...

I can be bribed with cheese. It's a glorious thing, innit? :)

I've taken to buying big logs of goat cheese and having them always in the fridge for use on greens or in pasta (great with pesto!) and there seems no end of ways to enrich plain old dishes with a dab of cheese. Yum. Or just plain cheese. :)

Vinogirl said...

Mmmmm...goat cheese on a salad, with nicely buttered, crusty bread, yum!