Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Duck egg blue.

Whilst I was eating my breakfast this morning, a male Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) entertained me by wandering around the courtyard just outside the kitchen window. Cheekily peeking into various outbuildings, he kept up a constant, barely perceptible quacking as if protesting the fact that his early morning promenade was being observed. Eventually, Mrs. Mallard appeared and, along with her inquisitive mate, wandered over towards the vegetable garden, had a quick nose around, then finally waddled off in the general direction of a nearby duck pond.
A little later, when the entire household was up and about, a solitary duck egg was discovered nestled in some dead vegetation atop a 2 1/2 foot high sandstone wall. An adorable photo op for me, but not a smart decision on the duck's part. All that effort for nought, it made me a little sad for the duck...there I go with my anthropomorphism again.
It is a wonder that any duck ever survives into maturity - only for me to then come along and pair it with a nice, older red Burgundy.
Yum!

7 comments:

Thomas said...

I love the immersion in self interest that you illuminate with your final sentence.

That kind of self knowledge is rare indeed.

Vinogirl said...

I'm a rare bird, what can I say :)

monkey said...

they never seem to have much luck them ducks, last year it took a good few trys for them to rear their ducklings. i do hope they have better luck this time.

Vinogirl said...

Monkey, there was a second egg this morning.

Thomas said...

One more egg and you have an omelet...

Vinogirl said...

Thomas, there was indeed a third egg this morning...daft duck!

Thomas said...

So, how was the omelet?