Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In the vineyard, dwelt a miner.

This is another of my favourite weeds - Miner's lettuce (Claytonia perfoliata). It grows around the edge of the vineyard usually in shaded areas cast by the boughs of oak trees. Not only is it pretty to look at, but it is also edible. I was talking to a Napa Valley restauranter, just yesterday, who told me he regularly collects and uses it's leaves for salad greens. I love the idea of finding fruits and plants growing wild that you can eat; I often pick sorrel from the vineyard and munch on it as I love it's citrus-like flavour, and midsummer will find me in any old bramble patch snacking on sun-warmed berries for hours on end (I'm weird like that.) Unfortunately, the Miner's lettuce is past it's best this time of year as it has already flowered, but I will be waiting for it, balsamic vinegar and olive oil at the ready, next winter.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Yes, once you get to learn the native vegetative habitat you can have lunch while on your walk...among my favorites are the wild strawberries, ramps, and fiddleheads in our neck of the universe.

Vinogirl said...

Thomas, I may have to throw a little something together with the help of 'Garlic, Wine and Olive Oil: Historical Anecdotes and Recipes' ;)

Thud said...

By coincidence the little Princess was eating my copy of 'food for free' this morning!...a good book but not edible in itself.